When Dr. Philip and Mary
Gould moved to West Feliciana Parish from New Orleans in 1948, they shared a
vision to establish a community hospital.
In 1957, Dr. Gould returned from medical school to West
Feliciana to form a partnership with his stepfather, Dr. Philip Niebergall.
With interest in a community hospital growing, Jesse Bankston, then Director of
the Louisiana Department of Hospitals, assisted the police jury and other civic
groups with conducting a study to determine the feasibility of establishing a
local hospital. However, the conclusion was there were not enough financial
resources to develop a facility at that time.
As the parish continued to grow, so did the interest in a
community hospital. Ten years later, the police jury requested a second survey
from Bankston, who was then a private hospital consultant. Based on the results
of that survey, the police jury decided to offer a proposal to the parish’s
citizens to create a West Feliciana Parish Hospital District. The people voted
in favor of the measure to establish a community hospital.
Dr. Gould and Dr. Niebergall worked closely with Clifton
Lasseigne, architects and various medical consultants to create a high-quality
efficient facility design. Construction on the site began in 1969 and the
23-bed full-service acute care hospital opened on Feb. 2, 1970.
Interestingly, the Goulds’ son, Dr. Alfred
Gould, remained an active medical staff member at the hospital until his
retirement in 2006. The road that connects the medical campus is named in his